Skip to main content

These are a few of my favorite things...

I have decided to highlight a few of my favorite things every now and then, just for kicks. They will most likely be rather random, but hopefully entertaining! So, without further adieu, here is my first entry:

My Nikon S80. I got this camera in May with our economic stimulus check (we did our part!) and it is absolutely amazing. I have 12 mp, 18x zoom, and a 3 1/2 inch LCD screen. I can take super close-up pictures, use the sports mode to take 30 seconds of nonstop pictures (which, for a toddler who won't sit still, is definitely useful !) and I can make it take take the picture in both color and black/white (I can also change regular color pictures into BW later if I want to, but I like that I can do it in both and save a little time.) I did quite a bit of research and thought I had my camera picked out (a Sony) but when I got to Best Buy and looked at it, it just didn't have the same feel and solidity (is that a word?) as the Nikon. They were comparable in price and features, with the Nikon having a few more for the money. I tell you what, it is worth every penny I spent to have a reliable, good camera! My old one was 10 years old with only 3 mp, so you can understand my excitement about the upgrade!


Cove Point Park. They have an excellent, HUGE playground! There is a really nice toddler playground with special toddler swings. Right next to it is a big playground for older kids. In the future, I can let Caleb play on the big playground while I'm with Abigail/Noah on the toddler playground! It is very clean, and the floor is a cushiony rubber that is very soft. We've gone several times and different times of the day and it never seems to be overly crowded. When we went last night, I did see 4 of my past students though! (that's normally not a bad thing, unless I've just had a rotten day!) There is also a water park. We've never been because Caleb is still a little too young, but I've heard it is really nice and much cleaner than Chesapeake Water Park. If you live in So MD, you should visit sometime!


Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Basically, anything written/illustrated by Eric Carle (Brown Bear isn't written by him, oddly enough!) Caleb absolutely loves this book and I normally read it to him at least 3 times a day. I have it completely memorized, but I still go through the pages because Caleb likes to look at the pictures. He is starting to "say" (I use that term loosely--it's more or less just syllables) the words along with me, and it is just very cute. Eric Carle writes timeless books that are the kinds of books that I want my kids to grow up reading. There's nothing questionable or disrespectful in them. I love the illustrations too. I can't even make a sun using tissue paper, so I can just imagine illustrating entire books! He's quite fascinating.

Okay, well, that is probably enough for tonight. I don't want to give too much away at once or my 3 readers will get bored! :) (Katie, Larissa, and Keba, you guys are great!) :)

Comments

Katie said…
I look forward to seeing updates on your blog! Maybe we should arrange a marriage between Caleb and Lucy! I forgot all about CPP, we'll have to meet up there sometime!
Julie said…
Yes, Caleb and Lucy could definitely marry. She's a cutie! I have to warn you...he's a bit of a ladies' man! He's the love of the nursery at church... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m