Skip to main content

Computers, Carnivals, Cotton Candy, and Caleb

My computer has been on its death bed for a few weeks, resulting in not being able to check timecards for Stacked Systems or blog.  We have internet access through our iPods, but it is really REALLY difficult to write a substantial blog using a tiny touch screen!  My dad has ordered a new part for our laptop, so hopefully it will be back in business soon!

Saturday was Caleb's birthday and we had a carnival party.  It was so fun!  We had a ball pit and played ring toss, and he had a circus train cake and snow cones for dessert.  Lots of sugar and 14 hyper children, but I think everyone had a blast. 

Somehow (I still don't quite know how) I miscounted the number of containers of cotton candy and ended up one short...which means the birthday boy didn't get one.  I didn't think he noticed, but while I was at a baby shower yesterday, Matt said that Caleb realized he didn't have one and demanded that they go to those kids houses and get his cotton candy back!  (They had a nice talk about being an indian giver!)

I can't believe Caleb is 3. I remember January 9, 2007 so vividly, almost like it is a video that I have watched repeatedly!  I remember Becky laying her head on my belly all afternoon as if she could sense what was happening.  I remember calmly watching TV for most of the day while I dialated (unbeknownst to me!) from 2-7 cm.  I remember calling Matt at work and mentioning that he might want to think about heading home.  I remember eating 3 granola bars in the car because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat anything else.  I remember being terrified that they were going to send me home and being ecstatic to discover that I was 7 cm (but still confirmed that they were going to keep me!!)  I remember trying to play Scrabble but losing to Matt because I was too distracted...possibly the only time he won!  :)  I remember them breaking my water to get me to 10 cm and then beginning to push.  I distinctly remember Matt popping my hip out of socket by the way he held my leg and pushed back on it during my first push and yelling that it hurts only to have the nurse reply that it was going to hurt but that I needed to keep going....they all got a good laugh at my expense when they realized what had actually happened!  I remember pushing, and pushing, and pushing, and pushing...for 2 hours and 41 minutes.  I remember that first cry and the amazement of it and and feeling like I was having an out-of-body experience.  I remember when Dr. Strider laid Caleb on my stomach and seeing him for the first time.  It was incredible.  *sigh*

Alright, enough sappiness.  I love my little boy more than anything.  He is my world.  Happy (belated because I couldn't blog on your actual birthday) birthday, Caleb-Boy! 

PS:  I will post pictures as soon as I get my laptop back.  I have lots from my camera and some professional shots to show you!!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m