Skip to main content

hospital happenings

Tid Bits




This is pretty much a stream of consciousness post. If you're not into jumping from one topic to another, stop reading now! Consider yourself warned. :)



First of all, did you watch the Chilean miner rescue?! Wow, did I cry! It's pretty much amazing that all of them not only survived, but came out with minimal injuries! What a great story! I love that the "breaking news" today was something positive and encouraging for once.



Matt spent the night last night and we spent the evening playing Phase 10 and watching Glee. It was almost normal...except for the vitals checks, medicines, and IVs. Yeah, except for that.



I had loads of awesome visitors today! At mid-morning, 5 wonderful ladies from our church came bearing lots of yummy food. It was a great visit!



Matt left shortly after they did, and I settled in to watch some of the live footage of the miners' rescue on CNN. A knock on the door revealed my favorite three year old! "Surprise, Momma!" was his greeting. Amy managed to get him up here without me knowing, and my friend Theresa came with her! I love visitors!



I am not losing my bathroom privileges! My doctors assured me that nothing has happened to take that away from me now that I'm nearing 34 weeks (34 weeks!!! Yay!!!!!)



The Venadynes just showed up (the order took a while to come up and I told my nurse it was because I called down and cancelled it!) Joking! :) I'll be back to the familiar annoying squeeze and release tomorrow, but at least I don't have to wear them at night. It's only for a few days, because at 34 weeks (that magic number again!!!) they will be increasing my activity. I'll be zooming around this hospital come Monday!



Tomorrow brings more visitors to make me smile. :)



Like I said, this was all over the place. So sorry!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:06 AM, EDT

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you...



App-pealing Apps!



I thought I'd share some of my favorite apps for my iPod, in case any of you are interested. Probably not, but I'm going to share them anyway!



I have never paid for an app, so all of these are free and can be found in the free section of iTunes.



1. Sleep Machine eLite: I have slept with an air purifier since college and sometimes have trouble sleeping without the white noise. This app has lots of different sleeping noises, such as waves, rain, white noise, crickets, wind, etc. I have used it several nights in the hospital when my IV makes clicking noises or there is an annoying humming sound.



2. Pandora: This is internet radio and you can choose "stations" that fit your style. Naturally I have a Glee station! The only downside to this is that you have to have an internet connection for it to work. You can also get Pandora on a desktop computer.



3. Animal Fun: This kids' app is really great for animal recognitionn. It shows a real photo of the animal (with lots of interesting ones like Dromedary, Ferret, and Orca), says the name, makes the sound, and even spells the word! Caleb was really into this one when he was 2 or so, and it definitely expanded his vocabulary.



4. What to Expect: This is the digital version of the book What to Expect When You're Expecting. It includes daily information about your pregnancy and a weekly update about you and your baby's development. There's information for dads in there too!



5. Fast Shop: This is a grocery list. Once you type the item in once, the app remembers it and will add it to the list if you start to type it. As you shop and get items, you can "cross" them off your list.



6. Weather Channel: It's not the most detailed weather report, but it includes the temperature and basic forecast for the day, 36 hours, or 10 days. It also includes an allergen alert, which is nice when you want to know what's in season.



If you have an iPod or iPhone, check out some of these apps! :)



Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Friday, October 15, 2010 12:21 PM, EDT

Happy Friday! Last night was a bit interesting with lots and lots of big contractions that weren't stopped with fluid. I contracted through my entire dose of meds, but they finally tapered off after they gave me my next dose (a little early) and I was finally able to fall asleep around 1 a.m. or so.



Mom stayed with me last night. She's hoping to finally get to go to a sonogram today! Watch, they won't take me! ;) (I never know when I am going; they just show up with the wheelchair and we head down there.) I do normally go on Fridays though, so hopefully she'll be able to go.



The phlebotomist tried to redo my IV yesterday, since she was drawing blood anyway (it's just one stick that way). She went for my hand and I wouldn't let her do it, so she got irritated with me and took it out on my veins. Ouch!! She hit it so badly that it actually swelled up quite a bit and I had a nice little knot. No, she didn't get the IV in.



When I needed fluids last night, my current IV blew. Surprise, surprise! Thankfully, my nurse knows me well and went right to labor and delivery to get their best! The woman came down and used lidocaine, so I was fine! She got it in one try and was very sweet to boot! Let's hope this one lasts at least another 3 days...















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m