Skip to main content

Hospital News

The 12 Days of Bedrest




On this, my 12th full day of bedrest, I thought that I might entertain you (or at least myself) with a song. For length's sake, I only included the 12th verse. Rest assured that I did type out the entire song with all 12 verses, because I really don't have anything better to do! :)



On the twelfth day of bed rest, my nurse gave to me



Twelve Venadyne lectures



Eleven contraction palpations



My tenth sonogram



Nine various bracelets



My eighth different room



Seven Albuterol puffs



Six cups of ice water



Five Nifedipine pills!



Four grams of Mag



Three hospital meals



Two Colace tablets



And a needle stick in my right arm.







Happy bed rest to all, and to all a good night!







Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:16 AM, EDT

2 Weeks Ago



2 weeks ago I took a quick shower (had I known it would be my last for a week, I would have slowed down and enjoyed it more!), ate breakfast, and got Caleb ready for church.



2 weeks ago I painted my toe nails to match the dress I was wearing.



2 weeks ago I took my 30 week baby bump photo in the mirror.



2 weeks ago I drove to church like every Sunday.



2 weeks ago I walked outside and enjoyed the fresh air for the last time.



2 weeks ago I had the scariest day of my life. I thought I would be meeting my daughter that day, and it was much too early. I was terrified.



2 weeks ago I took a helicopter ride to UMMC where some wonderful doctors and nurses took control of the situation and stopped my labor, buying my Abby Girl precious time.



A lot has happened in two weeks! I was a bit homesick last night and lamenting the fact that things are not going to return to normal for quite some time. Thanks to the friends that reminded me to define my new normal! Things will be normal again, but they may not be the same kind of normal. I don't quite know what normal is right now, but I think it will start with me no longer being an inpatient and getting to see Caleb more. So I'm back to being in good spirits!



My positive thought for the day? I currently do not have an iv port in!!! This is only because the one I had in went bad last night and the phlebotomists don't work that late. They asked if I wanted to have a nurse do it last night just in case I needed fluids overnight, but I told them I would take my chances. :) I will be getting another one today, but for now I'm free!



Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:31 AM, EDT

Keeping in touch



We've been getting creative with ways that I can stay connected with Caleb. It has been crazy hard being away from him and I think the transition back to being "Mom" again after I'm out of the hospital is going to be a little rough for him after having so many different care-givers. I've already seen glimpses of him not really looking at me as an authority figure anymore. I can't really blame him, seeing as I can't do much but lie flat in the bed!



Anyway, aside from talking to him on the phone each day, we've also tried to get him up here to visit as much as possible. This is really more for me than for him, as Caleb is pretty resilient and doesn't seem to mind being passed around! Visits are dependent on who can bring him, but I will have seen him 3 days in a row this week! :)



Caleb has been bringing books and little toys with him when he visits so that we have something to do. As I have mentioned before, he hates when I am hooked up to stuff. Yesterday, I requested my daily monitoring be done in the a.m. so that it would be finished by the time they got here. It was a good move, because it was the first time I've been totally disconnected the entire time he's been here! He climbed right up on the bed and asked me to read Horton Hatches an Egg to him. I happily obliged!



We picked up one of those recordable books from Hallmark that allows Caleb to hear my voice as the pages turn. I recorded it last night and he will get to listen to it today for the first time. He was really excited about the thought of me "reading" to him at home. Naturally, I had to rerecord a few pages because I got a little choked up, but I made it through!



Since Matt and I both have webcams on our laptops, we downloaded Skype with the intention of me being able to chat with Caleb. Apparently, it's too complicated for us! I couldn't get it to work from here, so we thought maybe it was blocked by the hospital server. But Matt can't get it to work from home or church either. It appears to be operator error! We're both pretty technologically savvy, so it frustrates me that I can't get it to work! If you're a Skype guru, let me know and maybe you can help us figure it out.



So those are the things I've been doing to try to stay connected with Caleb. I welcome other creative ideas, because I miss my boy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m