Skip to main content

Hospital News

Never Fear, Never Fear




I have an IV in again. The saddest part is that it took my favorite phlebotomist (is is pitiful that I even have a favorite?) TWO tries to get it in! In her words, "Wow, this is slim pickins!" I think that's a sign that I've been here too long. They'll be checking out my feet soon for good veins!



We're back in business though and I have really enjoyed getting to know her. She has a five year old who was born here at 24 weeks, so she has been incredibly sweet and understanding (she was on hospital bedrest herself from 12-24 weeks!) It's nice to have people around who can share similar experiences.

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Monday, October 4, 2010 10:16 AM, EDT

Somebody's Got a Case of the Mondays...



On this dreary Monday morning, I thought I'd share some good news! My fluid levels are still holding! After my first reduction, they only held for 2 days before starting to increase again. It has been 8 days since my last reduction and things are still looking good! Yay!!



This new dosage seems to be working really well for me as far as my contractions go. I haven't really had any at all, which is excellent! Unfortunately, it's taking its toll on my blood pressure (74 over 44 this morning!) and causing me to feel dizzy, shaky, and very tired. They're watching me closely and I'm being really careful when I get up to go to the bathroom. I fell on Saturday and don't want to do anything to cause Abby more problems...or to take away my bathroom privileges! :) The plus side to all of this is that I can pretty much doze whenever I feel like it....



I'll hopefully be heading to get one of my "fancy scans" done today. I was supposed to go for my weekly scan on Friday but they couldn't get me in, so they're going to try again today. These are the 4-D scans that are just amazing to look at, and where I have gotten all of the sonogram pictures I've posted. They're pretty amazing!



That's all of the latest from horizonal land. Oh, well, that, and the man whose window I can look into got another floral arrangement. (interesting news is a bit slow from my vantage point...) :)

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Monday, October 4, 2010 4:54 PM, EDT

I did get to go to CAFCA today for my comprehensive scan. One of the med students who has been assigned to my case came with me because she'd never seen one of them, and it worked out that my dad and Caleb happened to be there at the right time as well! I'm learning that when you are an in-patient and on hospital time, you don't get any warning for such appointments...it's just whenever the wheelchair shows up! My mom was some kind of jealous that she didn't get to go because she always seems to be on her way when they take me. Dad was going to go home and sufficiently gloat about his good timing! :)



While we didn't get some of the more exciting pictures we've gotten in the past, the big thing was the fluid levels. My daily scans are done at the bedside with a portable machine by residents; these scans are done by highly-skilled sonographers who do it all day long. When I get one of these done, they do three fluid level tests and average the scores. These are the scores in which I hold the most stock.



Welp, it's not looking too good folks! My average score was 27...quite a bit higher than the 20 I was told this morning. This doesn't necessarily mean I need to have a reduction tomorrow or anything, but it does put everyone on alert that I could start heavily contracting again.



I, however, am trying not to focus on that. Instead, I am celebrating my girl's 32 week birthday (is it a birthday if she hasn't been born yet?) and thanking God that He has given her this long to develop. Two weeks ago, I never would have thought I would make it this long. But now here I am with another round of steroid shots in me giving her lungs every opportunity to develop. Every day she stays inside means another day for her brain to grow. So it's alright! This is two weeks we didn't think we'd have.



Of course, we're not wanting her to come yet! Please pray that she stays in a bit longer! But we recognize that we are approaching "The point of no return" and that she is in a much better position to be born than she was two weeks ago. We're just thankful for every day she's been given!



Thank you to all of you who have posted messages to us and who have been praying for us. Unlike blogger, I can't respond to each one individually, but know that we are appreciative of every single note you leave! We know that our girl is being lifted up continually in prayer by so many people and we are feeling your love. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m