Skip to main content

hospital tales

Humbled




I am in amazement at the number of hits this site has gotten in the last 2 weeks since I started it. I think I had 5 blog readers before I went into the hospital. The things I have to do to get a little blog attention around here... :)



Seriously though, it means a lot to Matt and I that you all care enough to check the posts, keep updated with the progress, and leave messages on the guest book. We know that so many people are praying for us!



Yesterday God sent me an angel in the form of Ms. Penny, the sweetest nurse I could ever want. Remember the bad night I'd had? Well, God knew I needed a bit of encouragement before my reduction (the reduction that never actually happened) and Ms. Penny started talking to me about the power of prayer. I agreed and shared a bit of my story with her. Before she took me upstairs to have the procedure done, she asked if she could pray for me. That sweet woman prayed a beautiful prayer that calmed my heart and helped restore my positive attitude. She was exactly what I needed at that time, and I told her so. And I didn't even cry! (quite a feat from the girl who tears up at Hallmark commercials...)



So far, it's been a quiet, calm weekend with the promise of lots of visitors in a few hours! One of them is a cute 3 year old who calls me Momma. :)

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Sunday, October 10, 2010 11:19 AM, EDT

On Why I Love Phlebotomists...a Love Story



My doctor suggested that we try doing a continuous IV drip to see if that helps keep my veins open better than just a daily flushing. I was up for trying it, and being attached to a pole isn't such a big deal when you're just walking 5 feet to the bathroom and back. Anything to buy my veins more time, right??



Wrong. My IV blew this morning. It hadn't even been my typical 3 days yet and I'd been hooked up to an IV pretty much 24/7 except while I showered. My veins just aren't 5 day material. Good thought though!



It so happened that the phlebotomist came in to do my Type-In Screen bloodwork right after it blew. I mentioned it to her and she said she should just go ahead and do an IV so that I don't have to get stuck twice.



I'll admit it. I was a little leery. She didn't have lidocaine and the memory of my last IV nightmare was still fresh. She checked my veins and said I had plenty. It would only take her one try. So I allowed her to try....once!



Low and behold, she got it without any digging in my favorite spot (isn't it pitiful that I have a favorite?!) on the top of my arm!



I told her that the nurses said last time that the phlebotomists had already left for the day...turns out they're there 24/7! I also told her what they'd said about going for my neck next and she told me I had too many "good" veins for them to even be mentioning that!



I made sure to get her name and I will be asking for her again. She's been drawing blood and doing IVs for 20 years. That's a lot of experience!



In addition to telling her she actually made my day, I made sure she got a snack from the snack basket and thanked her profusely for doing such a great job--and being very kind at the same time!



So here's to at least another 3 days with an IV in a much better spot than in the crook of my arm!



Repeat after me: Phlebotomists are your friends. <3

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:49 PM, EDT

A Window to the Outside World



Matt and Caleb visited today, which was delightful as usual. After my lamenting about not feeling outside air for 3 weeks, Matt was able to figure out how to open one of my windows!!!! It made me very, very happy. Of course, as soon as I went to go stick my head out for a second, Nurse Caleb ordered me to, "Get back in bed!" :)



This is the first time I've felt a breeze since they took me off of the helicopter and into the hospital, nearly 3 weeks ago exactly.



I'm leaving the window open too, because they have cut off the air conditioning in the building and it is really hot in here! Turning my thermostat down to 60 degrees is my futile attempt to control it, but I know that the room thermostats are just for show. My allergies will probably be going crazy in the morning after sleeping with the window open, but at least it's not pollen season!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m