Skip to main content

Rollercoaster Ride

Meet Abby




We are ready to introduce you to our beautiful girl, Abigail Elizabeth Joy Leach! There are some pictures in the photo album for you to enjoy. :)



FYI: The orange tube in her nose is her trumpet, which helps her breathe and keeps her tongue out of the way. The orange tube in her mouth is her feeding tube, and the black cord in her mouth is a safety feature in case she has real trouble breathing. There's the tour. :)

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:50 PM, EDT

Roller Coaster Ride



Abby had a pretty good morning today. Matt and I stepped out while the doctors were rounding on the other patients and went to the waiting room for a while. I walked back to her room to deliver some milk before we went to get some lunch, and was hit with some news:



"We're heading to the OR. Abby needs to be intubated."



I ran to get Matt, who was in the waiting room, and we heard the whole report. After we left, Abby really started having a lot of trouble breathing and it was determined that not having a secure airway was really putting her in danger.



They took her back, but unfortunately were unable to intubate. Babies with small airways (and hers is really small) are just very difficult to intubate--and they weren't even attempting oral intubation.



Abby now has a secure airway through a trach. While this is much more invasive than we were hoping, it does have its positives. Now that the airway isn't as much of a concern, we can move forward with other issues that need to be addressed. Because she doesn't have to struggle so hard to breathe, she won't be burning so many calories and will be able to grow!! Plus, we are able to see her full face for the first time ever. The trumpet and tape are gone now and we can fully admire her beautiful face! I spent a lot of time stroking her this afternoon. :) She has my nose just like Caleb! Matt's still clinging to the brown eyes as his only hope for her looking like him...



While today didn't go quite the way we wanted it to, we still know that God has a plan in all of this. We have already seen His hand in so many things: the fact that I feel wonderful and am able to fully focus on Abby instead of my own pain, the compassion we've seen in so many of the nurses and doctors during this process, the conversations we have been able to have about our hope with so many staff members and others in the hospital (I have shared about God more in the last month and a half than I ever have!), the love we have received from all of you, and the way He has been teaching us to cling to each other and Him for support. Matt and I have never been closer.



So yes, while there have been lots of tears these last 5 days, we are still choosing joy...Abby Joy, to be exact! :) Love you all!!!

Sign My Guestbook Read Tributes



Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:23 PM, EDT

An Angel Named Megan



We have had wonderful experiences with all of our nurses so far, but one has an extra special place in our hearts already. Her name is Megan, and she is amazing.



From the first time Megan had Abby, she treated her as a person and not just as a patient. As a mom who was just trying to wrap my brain around all of the craziness, I really appreciated this. It's hard when they are constantly poking and prodding your baby, but Megan really was gentle and loving toward Abby.



Since then, we've had Megan several more times as Abby's night nurse. We've been able to share with her more and she was there for me on one particularly bad night. She couldn't do anything, but she was there and she listened and that was enough.



Last night, Megan had a training class before she got her assignment and wasn't able to get Abby. She popped in to see her, found out about her bad day and the trach, and took the time to write us the sweetest, most compassionate page-long note. We found it taped to her bedside this morning and were so moved by her kindness. She didn't have to say anything, but she knew that this was difficult for us and wanted to let us know that she cared.



What an awesome woman!!



Megan is also following our journey on Caring Bridge...so Megan, Matt and I just wanted to say thanks. That's not nearly enough considering how wonderful you have been, but we really do appreciate your compassion. We are so thankful for you!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m