Skip to main content

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

When we first found out about Abby's micrognathia (read:  small jaw) back in July, one of my biggest concerns at the time was about how others would look at her.

Yes, I know this is superficial.
Yes, I know that it doesn't matter what others think.

Yes, I know that the world bases its impressions on looks.

So of course I'm going to be a little concerned that Abby would be judged by the way she looked. 

If we're being completely honest here (and I am), I'll even say that I was a tad bit worried about how "different" she would look.

I was especially concerned about the stares.  I didn't want anyone looking at us with pity, curiosity, disgust, interest, or any other emotion!  I'd be quite content to just blend in with the crowd, thank you very much!

Isn't it funny how all of those thoughts about appearance go out the window when you first lay eyes on your child?!?!

I'm not biased or anything, but she really is beautiful!!!!

I mean, look at her...you can't tell me she isn't gorgeous!!
abby close up

abby cuddled up closer

abby close up

(These are oldies, but goodies that I think prove my point very well!)

When we walk out in public (to doctor's appointments!), I do notice people staring at us.  But it doesn't bother me quite as much as I thought it would.  I understand people's curiosity--afterall, we are quite a spectacle with our humongous stroller and bags hanging off of every arm!  Let's not even talk about all of the beeps... :)  So I know that we kind of draw people's attention, and I'm more okay with it than I thought I would be.  Honestly, I think it's good for people to see that we can smile and joke with each other, play and talk with our girl, and make all of this work....like there is hope. 

Because there is.  As hard as all of this is and as frustrated as we get with these hurdles, we are doing it one step at a time.  We are learning and getting a little more comfortable each day.  God is meeting us where we're at and bringing us through all of this.  That is sometimes hard to see in the immediate sense when we're tired and a nurse is late and Caleb is grumpy and we're all missing our dog and Abby is inconsolable and there are a million beeps with false alarms and the feeding pump won't work and the phone is ringing (yep, that was today!). 

However, I can usually recognize it when I reflect on the last five months...but I have to want to.  It's really easy to ignore how far God has brought us and focus on how much all of this stinks.  Like, really easy.  But when I want to think positively, I can see just how much of a miracle this little girl is and how much of an influence she has had on so many lives.  And that is pretty cool.

Tonight I was reading the blog of a camp friend who, sadly, lost her husband at a very young age a few years ago.  She recently wrote this post about hope and it really resonated with me.  Thanks, Kristi-Anna!

I've kind of gotten off on a tangent, but let's call it a purposeful tangent (I use that term in my class when it's related to something that is off-topic, but educational!).  It's a little more of a stream-of-consciousness post than I had intended, but whatever.  I'll go with it.  I am sharing my heart a little tonight, and that is always a good thing.  :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi--It is Linda in Frederick--you don't me but I was asked to pray for your family by an Emmaus friend. Our Sunday School class at Calvary UMC in Frederick has and continues to pray for you all. The entire class (ages 25-83) has fallen in love with Abby--we all think she is beautiful! We also have a knitting group at church that make prayer shawls/blankets. They have made a blanket for Abby and I would love to get it to you. You can e-mail me at carldreed@aol.com and let me know how to do that. In prayer and love,

Linda reed
Becca said…
Julie, just wanted to let you know that ANYONE who doesn't think that Abby is gorgeous is out of their mind. Barrett LOVES to look at pictures of "beebee abby" every night and he even tells me that she's pretty.

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m