Skip to main content

Confessions of a Worrier

I am a worrier.  It's just what I do.  And the worry button is on overload these days.

Paul...you know, in the Bible...must not have been thinking of people like me when he wrote, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7.

I love that verse.  I really do.  I've long-since had it memorized and repeat it to myself often, but it doesn't help an old worrier like me too much.  It's a constant struggle.  And I've got plenty to worry about these days:

...I worry about Abby having a good life and not one full of pain.
...I worry that Caleb is going to miss out on things as he grows up
...I worry that I will be so busy with the technical side of Abby's care that I will miss the fun stuff
...I worry about all of the surgeries we'll be facing
...I worry about job security
...I worry about our insurance situation

........just to list a few!

A friend from college used to say that worrying was like a rocking chair:  it gives you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.  This is so true...and yet I still do it.

But in that same chapter, just a couple of verses before, Paul tells us, "Be full of joy in the Lord always.  I will say again, be full of joy."  Philippians 4:4

So while being worry-free will never describe me this side of heaven, I can try my best to choose joy.  Some days are harder than others...much harder...but we're learning.

Comments

Amy Morris said…
Hello, I enjoy your blog and your beautiful family. Please know I am praying for you. I am your Mom's retired coworker Erma's daughter in law. I live in PA and am a pediatric home health nurse. I want to encourage you by sharing my experience. My patient who was in an auto accident that left her with a brain injury at 11 years old has a brother who was 3yrs old at the time of the accident. He is now 14 years old. I have been working this case almost 7 years. I have witnessed him growing into a great young guy. He has had to deal with a lot more than most can imagine, but it has made him who he is today. When talking to him he said that he has a real understanding of the value of life. His parents have always given him special time when they can, and he is a great kid. He is very loving towards his sister and mostly always kisses her goodnight. He has lots of friends who hang out here at the house (I am workin a nightshift) They come in and out of the room often. He is best at making his sister laugh. He has always been mature for his age which his parents contribute to him having adult nurses to talk to and sometimes play with :) yes when he was younger I spent many nights playing games with him in between his sister's care. He would end up falling asleep in her room and I would give him a pillow and cover him up. Of course this happened during the summer when school was out. Each year our time together lessens as he is busier with his sports and friends, but all this has contributed to the awesome person he is today. So just remember when you think of what your lil guy maybe missing out on he is also gaining much more by having his little sister to love and learn by. Hope this encourages you. Amy Morris ps to bad I don't live closer I would love to help fill in some of those hours of nursing you needed filled ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m