Skip to main content

Are We There Yet?

You know how kids constantly ask that annoying question, are we theeeeeeere yet???  I don't hear it too much from Caleb yet (please don't encourage it!), but I used to groan on field trips when someone would break out with the dreaded question.  One person piping up would trigger ten more until we had a chorus of whiners.  Uhhhhhhhhhh...

I wonder if God ever feels that way about me.  I find myself constantly asking some variation of the same question. 

Are we there yet??  Is Abby getting off the vent now?  Is this what our new normal is going to look like?  Are we at the end of the surgeries?  Are we done with weekly doctor's visits?  Huh?  Huh?  Are we?  Are we?!?!

I have a hard time being content with where we are right now, because frankly, I don't want to be where we are now.  I don't want to be in the "car," crammed in between nurses and doctors!  I want to be to our destination...that paradise called decannulation, sipping on an ice-cold glass of freedom and privacy!  :)

But then God reminds me that if I'm constantly focused on getting there, I'll miss out on all of the sights along the way:  Caleb's interactions with his sister, Abby reaching all of those important milestones on her own timetable, the time when we take a huge step and actually go on our first family vacation...

I guess it's the whole stop and smell the roses philosophy. While it's hard and I really want to just get there, I am also learning to see the value in the sights along the way. I don't want to miss out on all of those because I'm so focused on my destination.

Matt and I have an amazing opportunity to share with SO many people in a way that we never would have if Abby had been born healthy.  I can't even tell you the number of meaningful conversations I have had, or the times I've been able to share my heart.  We have said from the beginning that if God was going to put us here, then we would try our best to be a sense of encouragement and hope to others.  It's not always easy, and I sometimes find myself dreaming of that day...
So, those are my thoughts for tonight.  Maybe it's all of the spicy homemade salsa I had today that's stirring up these deep analogies...or maybe it's just God teaching me to be patient.  Either way, I hope that you know that I try to be transparent and real with ya'll.  It's not always sunshine and roses, but I'm real.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m