Skip to main content

Medical Update

You know that vent weaning we were so excited about?  Well, that's on hold for a little while.  :0/

Abby has an infection and has been on an antibiotic for a week.  It's a 10 day supply, so things should be pretty back to normal by now...but they're not.  So they're going to start her on another antibiotic for 14 days that is put in through a nebulizer directly to the trach.  Our doctor wanted us to start it as soon as possible so that we could start to see some improvement.  If only she were able to just give us the medicine herself...

I found out tonight that it is incredibly expensive (read:  $4,500!!!) and there is no generic. I have a feeling my insurance is going to balk at that one, so I hope Medicaid will pick it up.  Of course, that will require a pre-authorization, and the state offices are apparently closed for the rest of the week...awesome.  We're talking Monday before the request even goes across the desk, and then a few more days for them to hem and haw over it, if history repeats itself.  So "as soon as possible" may be Wednesday, November 30th.

Our doctor won't do anything with the vent weaning--not even turn down the rate--until Abby is done with this new medicine.  Her vent rate has to be at zero (she's at 6 right now) before she can go to MWPH for the final weaning...so stopped singing the "All I want for Christmas is the vent to be gone" song. 

I won't lie--it's a little frustrating.  But I don't want Abby to be set up for failure, so I'm willing to wait until the time is right.  I just hope that time is soon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am blown away and concerned of the red tape BUT we have a suggestion Julie. Our daughter in law advised recently of nearly all drug manufacturers having a web site and w/in the site, there is an area which says something like "Can't afford this medicine, click here" and/or get the phone number and call and explain your situation. This has worked for her w/her Crohn's disease over a similiarly expensive course of treatment she must administer every month and recently I applied her advice to an expensive medicine I must take. In each of our cases it has been free and hers ongoing for the rest of her life. Go for it and good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m