Skip to main content

The Hardest I Have Laughed in a Long Time

I turn 30 today. 

I know.  Ugh.

Meanwhile, I still get mistaken for a student at the 2 middle schools (not to even mention the high school!) I work at.  No one seems to notice my CCPS ID, or the fact that I carry a laptop and wheel around a crate full of materials.  Doesn't every middle schooler do that??

Anyway, I digress...

So, last Friday, Matt had a surprise date planned for us.  I really thought the surprise was that he had no idea what we were doing, but I was pleasantly mistaken on that one.  He had arranged to have our awesome friends Jenn and Steven meet us at Walmart (Matt said he had to stop and get something, and then all of the sudden they jumped in the van!)  We then went to The Silver Skewer, a Persian restaurant that I'm shocked Matt would even consider, let alone like.  It was really good though, and right up my alley.  I love ethnic food and rarely get to be adventurous because about as "ethnic" as my steak-and-potatoes-loving-husband gets is The Olive Garden.  :)

After dinner, we came back to our house, let our nurse head home early, and then sat down to play a new game.  Abby was thoroughly entertained by it!

It's called Quelf, and it is hysterical!!  I think it is best played with close friends though, because there were things that we could say and do to each other that would be awkward with peopole we don't know as well as Jenn and Steven! 

It's a hard game to explain, but you have different things you have to say and do, depending on the cards you draw.  For example, Matt had to announce, "Excuse me please.  I feel a question coming on!" in a loud voice with his hands in the air every time he wanted to ask a question.  If he didn't and we caught him, he had to go back two spaces.  I had to rate each person's action they did on their turn or I would have to go back spaces. 

Here are a few pictures from some of our funniest moments.  I promise Jenn was there too!  I don't know why I didn't take pictures or video of her yodeling with her finger up her nose while she tried to roll a two three times!!  :)

Steven had to use something nearby as a neck tie, so he grabbed my fuzzy scarf.  BTW:  That's Jenn's finger!  Proof that she was there.  :)

Matt had to carry a plunger like a scepter for part of the game.

As a punishment for not doing what he should have for one of the cards, Steven had to wrap himself in wrapping paper (or in this case, butcher paper, since it was convenient).  He was also the one who had to lick his teeth and say, "Willy Wonka has arrived" in a creepy voice and slap his knee and yell, "Char, char, char!" everytime someone laughed...which was often...

We all had bullseyes that we hung on our clothes.  If anyone looked at it and we caught them, they had to go back two spaces.  Steven was mean here.  :)

He seemed to get all of the "good" ones!  Here, he had to pretend to have a movie camera and do a running commentary on whatever Jenn did. 

It may sound really dumb...and it was, but in a hysterical way!!  I haven't laughed this hard in a long time, and laughing is good for the soul.  And the heart.  I probably burned a few of the calories I gained from our meal from all of the laughing.  :)

Fun, fun night.  It helped me to transition into the realm of 30 just a little easier.  Thanks, Jenn and Steven, for being great friends that we can laugh with!!! 

Comments

Food lover said…
well little late, but wishing you a very happy birthday and a wonderful year ahead. I am sure you will have great time with your family.
Jennifer said…
Hahaha! Just seeing this helped me relive it all! And ecstatic that you didn't get any blackmail pictures of me!! :) Happy 30th dear friend!!

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m