Skip to main content

We're Here!

We got to RMH around 9:45 this morning, which is no small feat for a mom packing up 8 weeks' worth of stuff in the car, getting 2 kids (and herself) ready, and feeding a little lady who is not interested in eating!  Matt helped quite a bit before he left for church, and we were able to make it out of the house by my goal time of 8:00 a.m.!

Although I don't usually let the kids watch movies when we go to Baltimore (we usually have a 2 hour rule and Baltimore is just under two hours!), I figured that this was special.  I put in the Muppets and we had a lovely singalong and peaceful ride.  Caleb has been singing, "We Built This City"  most of the day.  :)

The reason we got here so early when we couldn't actually check in until 2:00 is because Roaring to Ronalds was at 11.  This is a super-fun annual event that includes lots and lots of motorcycles!  We were able to be at this event right after Abby was born, and Caleb absolutely loved it!
We got here and had planned to ride in the parade in the RMH shuttle, but there was a little mix-up and they ended up having too many families on the list for the bus.  We volunteered to just hang out here and cheer as the parade came in.  It worked out very well because the kids played on the playground and in the playroom, and then had a grand time when their friends E and S came in (with their mom and my friend, L!)  I don't think they missed actually being "in" the parade at all.

When the House got the call that the motorcycles were only a few minutes away, we all went outside and got signs to hold up and wave around.  Look at these cuties!  (Abby and E are hiding behind theirs!)


When the motorcycles all got there, the kids were able to explore them.  Caleb even got to sit on a few!  Abby was too traumatized by the Ronald McDonald sighting to do much of anything but whimper in my arms.  (We will not be taking a trip to Disney World until she gets over her fear of characters!)


Caleb was in Hog Heaven!  Pardon the pun...


This is Chris, who organizes Roaring to Ronald's every year.  It's both a fundraiser for the House and a super-cool experience for the families.  Afterwards, everybody has a yummy catered lunch outside at the playground.  It's such an awesome event!  Thank you, Chris, for all of your hard work.  She remembered Caleb from when we were here 3 years ago!


So, this was pretty much an awesome way to start our newest RMH adventure, doncha think?  :)



Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
Well. Hey. Welcome to Ronald McDonald House!! ;)
Wow!! Roaring to Ronalds does sound like fun!! Especially for a boy like Caleb!! I am glad that you were able to watch those motorcycles!! For Caleb. ;-D
How neat that Chris remembered Caleb from three years ago!! Not surprising!! But still. It is neat!! That bottom picture touched my deepest emotions just thinking how the last time Chris met Caleb, Abby was a baby fighting for her life. And now.... ;)
--Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m