Skip to main content

It's a Girl!

A doggie girl, that is!  

Meet Chloe!



Chloe is a 4 year old Boxer who we adopted from Adopt a Boxer Rescue.  (There are lots of dogs who need love, if you are interested!)  She was an owner surrender, supposedly because of allergies, but they had 4 other dogs of various breeds....so, we're not really sure what that was about.  We do know she was tied to a tree all day and crated at night.  She doesn't know how to play with toys and seems to be craving love!  Her given name was Cleo, but the foster mom didn't think she looked like a Cleo and called her Chloe.  We agreed that Chloe was a good name for her!

I got an email from the rescue coordinator on Friday saying she thought she had a great dog for us.  We traveled a few hours to Western Maryland to meet this little girl that was described as a "laid back Boxer."  If you know anything about Boxers, you know that "laid back" is not usually a term used to describe them!  I love Boxers and my family has always had them.  Their energy is contagious and they are eternal puppies.  But with small children, we needed a dog a little calmer.  She certainly sounded like a good fit for our family, so we went to check her out.

It was love at first sight.


The kids loved Chloe, and she loved them!  She was so gentle and loving with them, so it made our decision easy.  We signed some papers and loaded her up in the van!

She started out in the back between Caleb and me.  I eventually moved up  to the front once I felt comfortable that she would sit nicely.


Chloe eventually decided that she wanted to move up too!  She sat next to Abby for the last leg of the trip.

Chloe is fitting in perfectly!  She is such a calm girl.  (Yes, you read that right, Boxer lovers!  I said calm!)  She takes her treats very gently, loves to be near where her people are, and slept in her bed all night.  She hasn't barked at all yet, isn't jumpy, and has been nothing but sweet to my two kids who don't understand personal space.  

What makes Chloe stand out from the rest is that she actually has a tail!  Almost all Boxers get their tails docked at just a few days old.  We're not sure why she kept hers, but it's already provided a lot of entertainment!  We're not used to tails, and especially not the strong whip she has!  Her tail is very, very strong and she has given all of us a couple of good whacks!  The kids shriek with laughter every time.  I have to admit, it is comical to hear her tail thump, thump, thumping on the floor. 

(picture courtesy of AABR)


We are so excited to have a dog again!  In Caleb's words, "Life is better with a dog!"  We are all enjoying giving her the love and affection that she has been missing.

Welcome home, Chloe.  We love you!



Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
You adopted the canine!! Congrats!! ;-D
First off, I commend you for rescuing an adult as opposed to a puppy!! Most everybody does babies, but full grown dogs need adopted, too!! If anything. They need it all the more!! ;)
If memory serves me right from research, surrendering a dog because of "allergies" usually {But not always!!} really means that this canine has some unwanted behavior problems. Unfortunately. But that's okay!! Chloe is, what I affectionately refer to as "a second chance dog"!! She may need some extra time and patience for adjustments, plus training, but in the long run, it will all be worth it!! ;-D
My Rose {An adult rescue, of course!!} does not know how to play with toys either. Well, actually. She only plays by herself. I believe that is resulted from her former owners never interacting with my girl. :-(
Congrats, again!! ;-D
--Raelyn


Anonymous said…
Hi was looking for all this information on google about Boxer from many days.This article is really awesome.I will be your regular followers of this blog.am also running a blog about boxer dog info.i would really appreciate if also visit my blog and suggest what is best for my blog.Boxer dog information

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m