Skip to main content

A Letter to the Neonatologists

Dear NICU doctors,

     You probably don't remember me.  The last time you saw me, I was hooked up to a ventilator, had a trach, and was fed through a gastrostomy tube.  I was a mere five pounds when I was transferred to the rehab hospital, and I was only even allowed to wear clothes for just a few days before my departure.  I had lots of salt and pepper hair and huge brown eyes that seemed to stare right into your soul.  This picture might help you remember.


     I'm Abby, and I'm a miracle.

     I'd be willing to bet you don't remember some of the conversations you had with my parents.  After all, you have hundreds of tough conversations each year.  But they remember.  They remember how they were stopped in the hallway and callously asked what they wanted to do when I coded.  After getting over the initial shock of that question, they begged the doctor to do whatever he could to save my life.  My parents will never forget how that doctor responded with, "Really?"  

     They remember the geneticist who diagnosed me.  My mom can picture sitting in her hospital bed attempting to take notes of what the geneticist said as her world came crashing down around her.  She can quote how the geneticist told them that I would be "little more than a vegetable."  She remembers being told that I would be trach and vent dependent for life, unable to hear, see, speak, or walk.  They will never forget the kindness of the chaplain who gave them so much support in those moments.  They remember the tears they shed as they read the xeroxed page from the medical journal from the 1970s that the geneticist left with them.  It was practically a death sentence as it described my syndrome.  I could hear the anguish in my momma's voice as she quietly prayed by my bedside.  Often, she didn't...couldn't...say anything but please let me have her.  I'll take her any way.  Please just let me have her.  By the way she held my hand so tightly, I could tell she was willing me to fight.  I tried so hard to tell her with my eyes that I was.


     My mom certainly remembers how hard she had to fight to get my therapy started.  She knew the importance of early intervention and wanted to begin working on loosening up my tight hands and strengthening my oral motor skills.  But yet, you resisted.  You kept saying something about letting "nature take its course."  I finally began therapy, but I think it was mostly to get my mom to leave you alone.  It didn't work.  She just moved on to something else!  :)

     She also remembers the kindness of the NICU fellow who believed in me.  She was the one who got the second opinion about my diagnosis and helped us contact the researcher in Boston.  She gave us the support that my parents often felt they didn't have in some of the other doctors.  Do you know that we still keep in contact with her?  That's how big of an impact she had on my mom during that time.

     Pretty soon, it became evident to everyone that I was here to stay.  People commented all of the time on my strong will and sassy personality.  I grew, got stronger, and fought harder day by day.  I remember that beautiful January day when I finally got to see my home for the first time.  It was wonderful to finally be around my whole family at one time!  There were a few close calls and one time when my momma really thought she was going to lose me.  But still I fought.  

     One by one, I crossed off my list of "Abby Will Nevers" as I did them.  First I crawled, then I started taking food by mouth, then I stopped using the vent during the day.  I got my first set of tubes in my ears, I walked, then I got rid of the vent altogether.  I learned some words and signed even more.  Just a few months after being weaned off the vent, I was decannulated and I've never looked back.  That was when my talking really took off.  Two months ago, I got my feeding tube taken out.  I now eat everything by mouth and am doing great!

     On October 22nd, I celebrated my third birthday--trach, vent, and gtube free.  While I have worked hard for every milestone, I am a happy, thriving, typically-developing three year old.  



Have I mentioned that I'm still pretty sassy?!


     Please, the next time you have a baby in the NICU who may seem like a lost cause, think of me.  Give that baby every chance at life.  Fight for that baby!   Remember that baby is a person, not a patient.  Listen to the parents who love that baby more than life itself.  Pour yourself into helping that baby survive.  Research, discuss the case with other doctors, and make phone calls.   And celebrate every milestone that baby makes, knowing that you helped make it happen.  

     Most importantly, don't underestimate the power of our God.  He is greater than any illness.  He is greater than anything.

Wishing You Faith, Hope, Love, and Joy,

Abby Joy


Comments

Anonymous said…
This is beautiful. I recently spoke to a group of nurses who wanted some stories of "bad things" medical professionals have said and honestly, we've had all positive experiences. I'm going to share these examples with them. Words really do matter and having champions in the medical world is so important.

thanks for sharing this.
Heather
Anonymous said…
Your story sounds very familiar. As a health care professional who also is the parent of a baby who was in the NICU and was given very little hope for survival, I can see both sides of this experience. As a parent you want to do everything you can to give your baby a chance to live. I understand the medical professionals are trying to be realistic with parents and aren't trying to give us false hope. I also know that medical science is advancing quickly and doctors don't always know everything that can be done. I will never forget the geneticist who told me I was young and could have other children (basically saying give up on this baby it isn't going to work out). A year later we had a follow up appointment with this Doctor who played a laughed with our child and told us our baby was a miracle. If we had listened to this doctor instead of our hearts and
the latest research, we might not have our beautiful son, who is thriving and loving life!
Mary Lou said…
Julie....
Oh.... This post is going to touch my deepest, most heartfelt emotions.... I just know it.... ;)
"I'd be willing to bet you don't remember some of the conversations you had with my parents. After all, you have hundreds of tough conversations each year. But they remember. They remember how they were stopped in the hallway and callously asked what they wanted to do when I coded. After getting over the initial shock of that question, they begged the doctor to do whatever he could to save my life. My parents will never forget how that doctor responded with, 'Really?'." Ouch. :-(
"She can quote how the geneticist told them that I would be 'little more than a vegetable.'." But, what about Emily? Or Regan? "Little more than a vegetable". What a hopeless prognosis!! ;-/
"She also remembers the kindness of the NICU fellow who believed in me. She was the one who got the second opinion about my diagnosis and helped us contact the researcher in Boston. She gave us the support that my parents often felt they didn't have in some of the other doctors. Do you know that we still keep in contact with her? That's how big of an impact she had on my mom during that time.". How neat!! ;)
--Raelyn
Mary W. said…
This was such a moving letter! What a blessing...I forwarded to our children.
Unknown said…
Awesome post on Neonatologists". Thanks for posting.
Infant Solutions
Unknown said…
I just read this again. I had forgotten. Abby is a blessing.

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m