Skip to main content

Thankful Thursday

I've been really slow to write this because I wanted to make sure I could do it justice.  I didn't want to write a cursory post in the hospital when I knew I couldn't devote the time to it that I wanted.

When I woke up on the morning of August 3rd, I felt so alone and anxious.  We were leaving that afternoon to begin our VEPTR journey with our little girl, and we really had no idea what was going to happen.  I was beaten down and just plain sad.

Little did I know what had been in the works for months.  My amazing sister had planned a HUGE send-off for us that involved lots of lies and avoidances of truth along the way!  Matt staged that he had to go pick up his laptop from the church (he knew just a tiny bit--enough to get us to the church).  When we made the turn onto the road the church was on and I looked up into the parking lot...I saw cars.

TONS of cars.

And a huge line of people dressed in purple.

Some were in tutus.

Everybody had signs, balloons, and noise makers.

250+ people were there for us.

Did I mention it was a sea of purple?!?!






I was in absolute shock.  All of these people were here because they love and care about our family.  We had family members, people from our church, CCPS staff members, friends, people from the community we didn't even know...it was incredible.  What an outpouring of love.  I didn't even know what to say.

When we drove around and got out of the car, I hugged my sister and stood there in awe for a few minutes!





Bruce made a sweet little speech using the speaker on his police car.  Then Pastor Wagner had everyone join hands and pray, which was pretty amazing to see in itself.





We spent the next hour or so greeting everyone and thanking them for coming.  I tried so hard to get to everyone, but as I went through the pictures I realized that I missed some people!  So I'm sorry if I didn't get to thank you personally!!

Now it's time for the photo dump.  I know this isn't everyone, but I tried to include lots of pictures so that you could get an idea of how amazing this all was!!

(I didn't include names to protect the people pictured, just in case some weren't crazy about having that info on the internet!) :)

My sweet friend with her little heart warrior (he has on a custom made I <3 abby="" and="" her="" of="" p="" shirt="" some="" students="">

One of Caleb's best friends and his family (his best friend's mom is now his teacher!


Men in tutus...love it!!


Amy and Owen


My mom and sister managed to keep this a secret for a very long time!


Caleb's other best friend!


Love the support for my Caleb Boy.  He sure is the best big brother ever!!


Abby's awesome pediatrician came!  He is an incredible man and doctor.


Janet was instrumental in helping my sister make signs and get accessories for everyone to wear.  What a sweet woman!


Some of my family!


Our best friends were away, but they made a special sign just for us!

This sweet lady has been SUCH an encouragement to me over the last four years.  She gets it in a way that most can't, and I love her so much!  I love her wonderful daughter too!!


Awesome family!!


My cousin and her family (the baby is in the carrier sleeping!)


This hysterical family had me laughing so much!  Their mom was making a tutu for herself and then her boys wanted to wear them!  She said this is the closest to having a girl!


Several work friends came to show their support!


Another wonderful work friend and her family!


Wonderful, supportive family!


Great family--the mom worked with my mom and the family joined us for the Shuffle last year!


Sweet church family!


Caleb's wonderful kindergarten teacher and her daughter


Another family of Abby Cheerleaders from our church


Abby's awesome speech therapist and her family (I don't know what I will do when Abby has to transition to school-based therapy!  This woman has taught me so much, given me so many hugs, and endured so many questions!! She is a saint!!)  


Great church family (I had the sweet little girl in VBS this year!)


Oh, Owen!  


From the bottom of my heart...thank you to EVERYONE who came to our send-off.  It was such an overwhelming and emotional event.  We are SO grateful for your love and support!  And to that amazing big sister of mine...I love you.  You are incredible.  Thank you for all of the time and effort you put into this.  There's no thanks big enough to show how much this meant to us.

God reminded me in HUGE way on August 3rd that we are most certainly NOT alone in all of this!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m