Skip to main content

Pre-Op

Abby had lots of appointments today (more than we originally thought, it turns out!)  We were up at 5:30, got Caleb to my parents' house at 6:30, and were at JHH by 8:30.  Early morning!

First we saw the anesthesia pre-op center to get her approved for anesthesia.  Sometimes we can go to our pediatrician for pre-op, but JHH wanted to see her because this is a big one that could impact the airway.  It went fine...another opportunity for us to educate people about Abby's interesting anatomy!

The nurse practitioner sent us to get blood drawn, which is always fun.  Thankfully, the phlebotomist listened to me when I said that her hands might look great, but they never actually get blood from them!  She also got heat packs when I requested, which really helps to draw out the vein.  This is the first time ever that blood was drawn on the first try.  Yippee!!

Our next appointment was for Abby to get a CT scan.  The tech grabbed the board they use to keep kids still, saying there's no way she will be still for this.  I asked if we could try it without the board (she absolutely HATES being strapped down!) and he glared at me.  I let him know that this wasn't her first CT scan and that I know she can be still because she's done it before.  He reluctantly agreed (preparing his I told ya so speech, I'm sure) and we started the scan process.  I know my girl.  She was totally fine, earning herself a lollipop and some cookies!

After going to the cafeteria for lunch, we headed back to the Facial Surgery department for an appointment with her surgeon.  Turns out, we were actually meeting with the entire Jaw Clinic, which meant we saw a speech therapist, geneticist, dentist, orthodontist, and our surgeon...who is really the one person we needed or wanted to see in the first place!

We did get some great information from our surgeon.  Here's a diagram of what the metal bars inside her jaw will look like.

  fingers holding ear tube

Abby will have external screws coming out toward her ears for several weeks.  We will turn them twice a day to extend her jaw.  The goal is to extend between 10-15 mm.  When the extension is done, Dr. K will cut the screws off at the skin and the internal bars will stay in until late February.

The plan is for Abby to be in the hospital for 10-14 days, depending on how well she does. She will be intubated and sedated for at least 6 days before they attempt to take the tube out in the OR.  If she doesn't tolerate that well, the tube will be put back in and we will try again a few days later.  The concern is that the swelling will cause her airway to be even tinier than it already is.  We plan to play it safe and make sure that everything is very structured!  I love that our doctors here feel the same way and have everything so carefully orchestrated.  Our wonderful ENT will be in attendance at both the surgery and the extubation attempt in case Abby gets into any trouble.  (He will also be working on her ears during surgery, to hopefully correct all of the hearing issues we have had in the last few months!!)

So...we're all set for surgery next Wednesday.  It's another big one with its own set of risks and concerns, so we certainly appreciate your prayers.  I'm starting to pack now! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m