Skip to main content

Updates on Various Sickies I Love

Matt was able to stay with Abby today while I went home to visit my dad.  It's really hard for me to be away when he is sick, and I had a lot of concerns.  I was able to get a lot of the questions I had regarding his care answered.  I took a lot of notes during our discussions with the doctor and respiratory therapist, then texted those notes to my mom and sister so that we all had the same information!  I pressed the doctor for a plan (I like plans instead of the "wait and see" method of healthcare!) and was satisfied with what he laid out.  

The good news is that Nurse Julie successfully got his oxygen turned down and a portable rank for him so that he could get up and walk!


I'm pretty sure the staff has me on their list.  I might be blocked by security the next time I try to visit.  (No, seriously, I was very sweet and had no reason to even raise my voice!). But this is my DAD!  I have got to make sure he is okay, and I'm the one with enough medical knowledge to check up on the doctors and ask the right questions!

My hope is that if he continues to do well over the weekend, he can possibly go home Tuesday or Wednesday.  It's been a rough week!

Abs is doing well at MW and is now on FULL FEEDS!  That means that she is finally receiving all of her calories per day by gtube instead of relying on the TPN.  If she tolerates these feeds over the weekend, the TPN should be stopped on Monday! (Insert happy dance here!). Then we can finally work on compressing feeds and deciding how much she can take orally.  

I would be lying if I said I'm thrilled about her being gtube dependent again.  This was supposed to just be a safety net!!!!  That darn pancreatitis threw us for a big loop and has caused so many issues.  While we are disheartened that she will come home completely gtube fed (she can eat orally, but isn't really doing enough to account for any calories), it's what is best right now.  It's just a significantly bigger step back than we had planned when we agreed to put the tube back in.  

I really hesitated to even begin calling myself a "tubie mom" again because it was only going to be used when absolutely needed.  Otherwise, it would just be a fun belly accessory.  But now....yep, I'm officially a tubie mom again! Time to be loud and proud!









Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
Send your Dad some virtual "Get Better Soon" wishes from me, will you? ;)
"Abs is doing well at MW and is now on FULL FEEDS! That means that she is finally receiving all of her calories per day by g-tube instead of relying on the TPN. If she tolerates these feeds over the weekend, the TPN should be stopped on Monday! (Insert happy dance here!)." No more TPN?! Thanks be to God!! ;-D
I am so very sorry that Abby will be returning home completely g-tube dependent {Just like she used to be} I can only imagine how disheartening that cosmic leap backwards must feel.... :-(
Love you later, Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m