Skip to main content

Whirlwind

I feel like we come home from a long hospitalization chomping at the bit to get back into normalcy...so much so, that I feel like I'm going crazy!  You have NO idea how much stuff accumulates after a month away.  It takes forever to put away!  We're still not really done, but at least we can move around the house again!

Here's a quick recap of the last few days since we have been home:

Wednesday:  We got home around 2:00, furiously unpacked as much as we could, and surprised Caleb at the bus stop at 4:00.  He had absolutely NO idea Abby was coming home (which is why we didn't post anything!), and it was so sweet to see him run to Abby and give her a huge, long hug!  Videos don't post well on here, but you definitely need to check it out on Facebook.  It's pretty sweet!

After our happy reunion, Matt headed to church for youth group and we went to a birthday dinner for my mom.  My dad came home from the hospital the same day, so it was a great birthday present for my momma!

Thursday:  We jumped in with both feet back into regular life.  Abby went to school (after I spoke with the teacher on the phone to make sure she was comfortable, of course!) and I went to work.  Abby enjoyed lots of kisses from Chloe!  It was pretty much business as usual, except for hooking up that darn tube at night!  We aren't getting quite as much sleep at night, that's for sure.



Friday:  After Abby went to school, she went to my mom and dad's for a little while so that I could come home from work and work on getting things put away.  Abby got very used to me being at her every beck and call while she was in the hospital, so I have to retrain her to entertain herself now and then!  :)

That evening, we went to a birthday party for a very special adult who has touched the lives of so many.  It was a beautiful celebration, and everybody enjoyed themselves!





Saturday:  The kids and I worked around the house while Matt was at a quiz rally.  Then, we took the kids to my parents' house for the evening and enjoyed a night out!  We went to see Newsies at the Hippodrome for my birthday, and it was awesome!  This was a favorite movie of both of us from our childhood, and we'd been looking forward to it since May.  I especially enjoyed the dancing.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sing along nearly as much as I had hoped because they changed the words to every song!  (The people around me probably appreciated that though!)



Sunday:  After church, Matt and I had another date!  (Hey, we needed some make up dates after a month away from each other!)  Actually, the reason for this date was a Living Social deal for The Melting Pot that was about to run out.  Amy agreed to watch the kids, and we're watching hers on Friday so that they can use their deal before it runs out!  Lol!  We aren't the best at spreading our dates out, but we got a good dinner out of it!

Today:  Back to work for me!  Matt stayed with Abby on his day off and set up the Christmas tree, along with some other things on a honey-do list I left for him.  :)  Then tonight, we went to Owen's first band concert.  He did a great job and we were done in 1/2 an hour.  Woo hoo!

Like I said...crazy days!  Being that it is December, I don't think that things will be slowing down anytime soon.  But we're all together and HOME.  Abby is doing a great job of drinking all of her milk during the day and only needing a tube at night.  We're adjusting to our ever-changing new normal, and we're happy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m