Skip to main content

The Hamburgala


There have been so many blessings that have come out of our journey the last five years.  At the top of the list is most certainly the Ronald McDonald House of Baltimore.  The staff has created such a warm community there, and it really is our home away from home.  We love it and shout that from the rooftops!

We were so honored that they invited us to their Hamburgala fundraiser.  The kids presented flowers to the chair of the committee, and we all held signs to direct people to dinner.  It was such a fun evening and a great way to raise money for the new house!

Abby loved her new dress and enjoyed twirling in it!

Caleb got so many compliments on how sharp he looked.


Abby decided to practice her princess wave for Disney World while we waited for the shuttle to take us to the Gala at the Four Seasons.  :)


Our menu for the night.

Everything served included McDonalds ingredients!  (but much fancier!)

Our dessert was served in a Big Mac box :)


It was a tiny little cheeseburger Macaroon and a homemade Coke float in a miniature McCafe cup!


This is the design of the new house.  They will double their capacity, which means they will be able to help SO many more families!  Their goal is to never have to turn a family away again.


Sandy, the amazing director, gave a speech sharing about a few of the kids who have stayed at the House.  Abby was one of them!



Sandy shared about Abby's difficult beginning, then explained about Abby's surgeries in the past and future.


But this was my favorite slide--it shows the hope and joy of our family!


After the program, we got a few pictures.  This was underneath this great arch that had pictures of all kinds of kids from the House.


This was taken in front of one of the trees that lined the hallway with pictures of many RMH faces.  The kids loved seeing so many of their friends on these trees!


Much of the decorations were done by my super-talented friend Kim!


We were able to meet Walt Williams, who is apparently one of Matt's childhood sports heroes (I'd never heard of him, but that's not surprising!)  He was a superstar for University of Maryland basketball back in the 90s.  He also donated one of the big packages that was auctioned off for $6,000!  The live auction alone made over $50k, and there were also many items for silent auction as well.  It was a fantastic fundraiser that will most definitely aid in the construction of the new house.


I had to do a little convincing to get the kids to join me in this photo booth.  They were surprisingly cooperative, considering these were taken at 10:00 pm!!




(The shadows are because I took a picture of the printed picture they gave me.)  You can go here to view all of the Photo Booth pictures of the night!

It was a wonderful night full of memories, thankfulness, and joy.  And it was not lost on me the difference between this night and the same night a year ago, when we very nearly lost Abby due to a kink in her intubation tube.  You can read about it here, but remembering that day made me even more thankful for such a wonderful night a year later.

Our journey isn't always easy, but it is people like our RMH family that make it SO worth it.  They really do bring "Joy to the Journey."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m