Skip to main content

The First of Many


This is the first of what will be many posts about our amazing trip to Disney World.  I was waiting until I got all of my pictures edited, which I finished today.  I have ordered my CD of the pictures from Memory Maker (professional pictures in Disney World), so I will wait to share about some things until those pictures come in.

There really are no words to describe how incredible this trip was.  It was more than just a cool vacation--it was an escape, a time to build memories, a way to instill confidence, a chance to let kids be kids...it was awesome!

So, let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start!

I kept a detailed journal throughout our entire trip so that I wouldn't forget things that happened.  So much occurred over the ten days that I knew I'd need things written down in order to really be able to write about them.  So I'll be relying heavily on that journal as I write all of these posts chronicling our journey!

Our limousine arrived at our house at 9:30 in the morning on the 8th.  Jesse, our driver, was really sweet and loaded everything into the car.  We had a lot of luggage!!!

 My parents, my sister and brother-in-law, and my niece Lucy had come to send us off and take some pictures.

Outside of our limo (it was really sunny!)

The kids were thrilled to find that there was candy in our limo!!  (Their only frame of reference of limos came from Descendants.  Since they had candy in their limo...they were certain ours would!)


The face of excitement!!





We watched The Lego Movie in the car, which was a big hit.  Since we flew out of DC, we were able to watch the entire movie before we got there. 

Once we got to the airport, we took advantage of the curbside luggage check-in that Jet Blue offers.  We said an excited goodbye to Jesse and got in line for security.  

I'd been dreading security for a while, having heard so many horror stories about going through with a special needs child.  Since we had to declare lots of medical equipment, feeding supplies, and medicines, I was expecting it to take a while.  I didn't mind it taking some time--I just didn't want the people to be rude.  Thankfully, we had a very kind and respectful TSA worker.  I did have to be patted down (I really don't understand why--she said because she couldn't open Abby's Pediasure, she had to pat me down...not sure how those go together, but ok...), but it was fine.  I'm glad it was me and not one of the kids!  It really went as smoothly as it could. 

Once we got through security, we got some lunch and watched the planes landing and taking off.  


When it was time to board the plane, the kids couldn't be more excited!  Jet Blue has small TVs for each seat, so we plugged in their headphones and they were good to go!  


Neither had flown before, but they did really well!  They loved looking out the window, and especially loved the snacks.


Caleb's reaction to take-off

  It was pretty bumpy, but they were fine and didn't know any different!  The flight there really couldn't have gone any better (YAY!!). 


When we got to Orlando, we were greeted in baggage claim by a representative from Give Kids the World.  She held a sign with our name on it and showed us where to go to rent our van. The cool thing was that she used to teach at the middle school I went to!  She is a friend of a friend, who called her and told her we were coming.  She signed up to be our greeter!  So fun!



After about a half an hour drive from the airport, we arrived at Give Kids the World.  This is a 79-acre resort JUST for kids on wish trips to Disney World!  The villas are all built like storybook homes, and everything is decorated straight out of a fairy tale page.  But it deserves a post all to itself (or more!!), so I'll save GKTW for another day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m