Skip to main content

In Their Words

Being a special needs parent is vastly different from being the child with special needs, or from being the big brother.   I am hoping to start a new series called In Their Words that allows Caleb and Abby to share their own perspectives.  Abby is getting old enough now to share some of her frustrations and fears about her surgeries, and I think it is important for her to feel like she has a voice.  Caleb is often so reflective that I know he will have lots to share. Who knows, maybe In Their Words will make it to The Mighty!

Today, Caleb is going to share what it is like being the big brother to a child with special needs.  This is written in his own words, with me as the typist.  :)

Abby's big health concerns are her spine, her breathing, her hearing, and her seeing.  She has to have a lot of surgeries on her back and ribs.  She has special needs, which means you need special stuff to help you with sickness or special things that other kids don't have.  And I don't like the term "regular" kids.  It doesn't sound right, because we're all kids.  We're all unique.

One time, when Abby was a baby, there were some kids pointing at her neck because she had a trach.  They were laughing.  It made me feel angry because they were making fun of her, and she's my sister.  Children with special needs should be treated the same way other kids are.  They shouldn't be treated any differently.  We're all kids.  We're all people.

 I think the hardest part about being Abby's big brother is all of the surgeries, because I don't get to see her and I miss her.  But the best part is seeing her for the first time when she comes home after a surgery.  We get along really well for the first few days after she gets home!  If I could change one thing about our life with Abby, I wouldn't want her to have so many surgeries because I miss her when I don't get to see her.

When we were younger, I was surprised at how much attention Abby got.  But it's fine.  It's just surprising that she got so much attention.  She doesn't get as much attention now.  I feel like we get about the same now.  But when she was a baby, she did.

One good thing that has come out of being a special needs family is definitely The Ronald McDonald House!  They are always welcoming and kind.  Nobody there makes fun of you, and they look at you the same way they look at other kids.  I love it there.

If I could tell the world one thing about children with special needs, it would be that they are the same as other kids, so just treat them the same way.  We all need love.

Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
"I don't like the term 'regular' kids. It doesn't sound right, because we're all kids. We're all unique." Yes!! ;-D
"Children with special needs should be treated the same way other kids are. They shouldn't be treated any differently. We're all kids. We're all people." Yes!! ;-D
"If I could tell the world one thing about children with special needs, it would be that they are the same as other kids, so just treat them the same way. We all need love." Yes!! ;-D
Keep this In Their Words Blogging series going, Friend!! ;)
"Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive", Raelyn
Mary Lou said…
PS. You should make sure that Ellen from Love That Max sees this Blog post!! She would absolutely enjoy it!! ;)
"Stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive", Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m