Skip to main content

Goodbye, 2017!

Yes, I do still have a blog!  I know I’ve been MIA here for a while, but I figured a New Year’s post might be a nice way to get back into it.

We had a wonderful Christmas and were thankful to be home.  It is definitely a unique perspective when you spend so much time in hospitals!  Our break has been slower than usual with much less “going,” which is a nice change of pace. 



I would be lying if I said that I loved 2017.  It was tough—probably the toughest we have had. Abby spent time in the hospital for 7/12 months for repeated rod infections and a large wound that just wouldn’t close, and losing the rib rod proved to be catastrophic for her.  The rib cage collapsing wreaked havoc on her tiny little lungs, putting her in lung failure.  All of this also had a profound effect on Caleb, who hates when we aren’t all together and worries so much about his sister. 

But I learned a lot this year too.  One of the biggest lessons was not to get too comfortable in your situation, because it can change at any minute.  Abby did fantastic in 2016 and we were thrilled with her progress.  We thought the hard days were behind us...and then this came along.  You can’t count on modern medicine, or good days, or health...all you really have is God.  Thankfully, He is truly all we need and He carries us through some really tough months.

There were some highlights of 2017 though, despite the hard times.

January:  Caleb turned 10 and had a laser tag birthday.

February:  Abby had her first school presentation, teaching her class about red pandas.

April:  Caleb performed in The Little Mermaid as Grimsby and had his first solo!

May:  Abby got her halo off after 5 loooong months and we enjoyed some warm days at our local beach.

June:  Caleb went to a day camp with his cousin.  Since Abby couldn’t go as planned because of her health, we had camp here!  Each day had planned activities and a surprise playmate to enjoy them with!

July:  We celebrated Matt’s birthday and visited The Adventure Aquarium in New Jersey.  We got to see an adorable penguin up close!

August:  Caleb participated in a performing arts camp and Abby had lots of cousin time!

September:  With the start of school, Caleb began 5th grade and Abby began 1st grade with the home-hospital program.  Her wound FINALLY closed at the end of the month and she enjoyed her first real bath in over a year!  She also started piano lessons, which she really enjoys.

October:  Abby turned 7 and celebrated with a trip to see The My Little Pony movie.  The kids went trick-or-treating for the first time!

November:  Caleb was selected to be part of The All-County Band, which he was really excited about.  We enjoyed Thanksgiving with family.  Santa gave us an early Christmas present of tickets to see The Lion King musical!  Everyone loved it.  

December:  We were chosen to participate in Fantasy Flight, which took us to the North Pole to see Santa!  It was pretty amazing and definitely a precious memory.  We celebrated Christmas together and favorite gifts were:  Kindle Unlimited (Caleb), a Kit doll with her dog (Abby), knobs for the kitchen cabinets (Julie), and tickets to see Les Miserables (Matt).  

In 2018, we are looking forward to Abby getting a surgery that will hopefully improve her breathing enough that she can go back to school.  As always, we are excited to see Caleb perform in band and chorus concerts, as well as Lafeu in Beauty and the Beast. He has become quite the performer and we love to see him develop as a musician, singer, and actor.  We are hopeful that Abby’s health will improve so that we can take a special vacation as a family this summer and make more memories!

We are thankful for lessons learned and precious memories, but we are certainly ready for better news and health in 2018!  Here’s to new beginnngs!  




Comments

Mary Lou said…
Julie....
Yay, a new Blog post!! I have missed you, Friend!! ;)
Yes, here is to a new year, full of new possibilities, new promises and new hope!! Cheers!! 2017 was simultaneously a good and hard year {filled with positives and negatives} for us around here, as a dear friend of mine battled breast cancer for six long months.... She is doing better.... Now, if only we can all stay cold-free!! ;-D
--Mary Lou
PS. I love Caleb's Chewbacca sweatshirt!! ;)
Peace out, 2017…. Peace out. ;-D

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m