Skip to main content

Disney Cruise With Special Needs: Forms and Help From Disney

I have learned a whole lot during this cruise process about cruising with a child with special needs!  I have seen a lack of blogging for families with special needs, so I thought I would designate some blogs specifically about that to help others.  The thing that really sets Disney apart from other cruises is the support and accommodations they offer for people with special needs.  It's not that other cruise lines don't want to have those with special needs, but Disney has really gone above and beyond.

There are quite a few accommodations Disney offers in the staterooms.  You can see a complete list here.  We didn't need any of them because Abby is ambulatory, but it is nice that they have them!  There's also information about wheelchairs on this page.  I plan to stow Abby's wheeelchair in our stateroom as long as we can find room, but there are wheelchair designated spaces in the ship.  There are also areas to keep them when you go to the theater and restaurants.  We decided not to bring Abby's real wheelchair because it's not very portable and a challenge to collapse.  After looking into a couple of different options, I ended up purchasing this pediatric transfer chair.  It was a great price (especially compared to her real one!) and is actually very substantial.  I was surprised at the quality, for the price!  It folds up wonderfully and is very light.  It will be much easier for stowing on the plane and around the ship. 

It is very important that you complete this form at least 60 days before your cruise if you have a family member with special needs.  There is plenty of room for you to include any additional information.  For example, Abby uses a ventilator, nebulizer, cough assist, an oxygen concentrator, and a feeding pump.  There wasn't a spot to check all of this off, so I included some of it in the additional ifnormation.  Overnight, we need electrical outlets close to her bed for 3 machines that run simultaneously.  I also included that we would be in need of a power strip.  You can't bring these on board, but Disney will provide them upon request for those who are technology dependent. 

A few days after completing this online form, I contacted the Special Services department at the number below.

I confirmed that they had received the online form and that they could accommodate everything.  They could and the man even asked if Abby would need distilled water for the ventilator, which impressed me!  (We don't need it because she has humidivents, but I liked that it was offered!)  He was able to answer any questions I had and was very helpful.

Disney wants to make sure that everyone has a magical trip, so don't be afraid to ask.  The worst they can say is no, but I've been really pleased with how helpful they have been!

I will continue to share our experiences as a special needs family to help others who may be considering a Disney cruise!  Each heading will start with "Disney Cruise With Special Needs" and I will also have that as a label.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m