Skip to main content

Spring Long Weekend

Since we really only had 2 days off of school, it's really not a Spring Break...more a Spring Long Weekend.  However, I was thankful for a few days to spend with my lovely family!

On Thursday evening, Caleb finally was able to see Newsies, which was his birthday present.  The performance was at a dinner theater and it was incredible!  They had some really talented people and it was awesome to see them do so much dancing in a small space!  They brought Caleb a special dessert and acknowledged him before the show. 







 Although Abby wasn't overly excited about going because there aren't enough girls in Newsies, she really enjoyed the dancing! 




My sister watched the kids on Friday so that Matt and I could go out on a "date" to buy new kitchen chairs.  Ours were cheap and are literally falling apart.  I took one of the spindles that had actually broken off to match the color!  We purchased really nice, oak chairs with a stain that matches our table. 



 They should last us for the long haul, I hope!  We also ordered a small swing set for the kids (just 2 swings and a 2-seater), which thrilled them to no end!



  It will be delivered and assembled tomorrow.  We always spend our tax return on something for the house, and these were this year's purchases!  Our heat pump probably isn't going to last too much longer, so we saved the rest of our tax return in preparation for replacing it in the not-so-distant future.

We gave the kids their Easter baskets on Saturday night because Sunday mornings are rather rushed and hectic.  Since we don't really "do" the Easter Bunny, the kids are always happy to get their treats a little early!  Highlights for Abby included 2 Calico Critters sets and a Chronicles of Narnia coloring book.  She's currently listening to the series on CD during her treatments and loving it!  Highlights for Caleb included The Action Bible, which is in comic-book form, an Adidas duffel bag, and a "Young, Scrappy, and Hungry" shirt from Hamilton.  They both also really enjoyed the fancy chocolate dipped Oreo cookies I found at TJ Maxx, of all places!

Abby and I didn't make it to church on Sunday because the germs are still floating around, but we went to my parents' house afterwards to celebrate Easter.  The cousins always have a great time playing together and the 3 little girls were dressed as triplets. 


As usual, the annual picture taking included much screaming and gnashing of teeth!





 My grandmother is staying with my parents right now and seemed to really enjoy the kids running around.  


My mom, sister, and I did a little cruise planning and the kids got "Alaska Dollars" in their Easter eggs this year to spend on the cruise.  They are getting excited about our vacation!!




Today, I took Chloe to the vet in the morning and then Matt went to work.  The kids and I took care of some things around the house and they got some good playing time in.  They really just enjoy being together!  Our tree house was repaired today after a tree took out part of the deck.  After it was finished and Abby's treatments were done, the kids convinced me to take them to the boardwalk to ride bikes/scooters.




  It was coooooold, but I bundled up and agreed!  They don't seem to be affected by the cold wind off of the bay!  They played on the playground for quite sometime too.  I guess a positive of being freezing is that other people know better than to go the boardwalk...so it was empty!  Despite being chilly, it was a nice way to end the Spring Long Weekend. 

We hope that you also had a wonderful Easter and were able to celebrate our risen savior!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m